Thursday, July 1, 2010

Sometimes my mind is like a monsoon frog doing sommersaults!

Ever realised how you get so excited about something, that you begin to dream and think about it so much and it's almost real? When we're excited about something good that is going to happen, or that has happened, we begin to imagine things, the future and how awesome things will be! This might sound pretty lame to some of you, but for those of you who can relate to this, my mind is pretty gulible to these fleeting aphrodisiacs i.e. fantasy lands and day-dreaming.

It starts with almost nothing - a stray thought, a word, an image or something that you've heard on the TV, a stray memory that was masticated and resurrected by your brain by mistake, or it could be physical sensations. And with the train of thoughts that the mind is capable of, one can actually start off with "algebra" and reach "beach picnic" in a matter on few seconds. It's funny! But wow! Most of my fantasy thoughts are happy thoughts where my mind retires... very often voluntarily. It's awesome to be there and i think about all the things I love in life - my family, the piano, singing, Cadbury's Gems with vanilla icecream, nuclear fusion, books, the sea and the mountains, forests, Audi cars..... sigh! :) (I'm so happy right now... I'm gonna take a 5 minute fantasy break!)

(.......and we're back!) I was in the Alpine forests of France playing the piano on top of the CERN building :) The intensity of these fantasies can at times astounds me. Especially when our senses respond and we actually begin to register smells, touch, pain and tastes! It's unbelievable when I remember smells, especially from dreams. One cannot comprehend how it happens, whether it is the mind creating these phantom senses to be able to go to those happy spaces in your head, or whether it is actual senses that you are experiencing (while asleep, without you being aware of it) that allow you the physical space to fantasize and make your imagination as realistic as possible.

Needless to say though, these bursts of short blissful moments recharge the mind to a great level of creativity, freshness and drain away some of the fatigue too. I really don't understand how this works. But it's exhilarating to be able to do this now and then and recharge one's mental batteries. Fine piece of anatomy our brain is... I especially like the idea-hopping ability we have, like I mentioned before (algebra to beach-picnic). In fact, there have been times when I have gotten briefly confused between actual experiences and some of my day-dreams. It can lead to a few embarassing situations, mind you.

Have you ever thought about what it might be like to be brain-dead, in a coma or in a state of mental degradation (like Alzheimer's disease)?? They say the brain never stops working. But how does it work for people with these conditions? My Granma had Alzheimer's disease I guess, because as the years passed away, she began to forget our names (me and my siblings) and how we were related to her. But I have no doubt she still day-dreamed. Because there'd be these moments when she smile to herself and then turn around and say, "Did you see that!!!" like she just saw a peacock fly by in the house. And she would have this amazed and astonished look - amazed at what she just saw and astonished at my slackening attention to surroundings.

I hope people with mental abilities never ever lose the ability to fantasize or imagine. Coz that's the one place we can actually create - create thoughts of our own. No where is man so powerful as he is inside his own mind - his own perspective, his own understanding and his own decisions!

3 comments:

christie maria james said...

ohh my i LOVE this post!! Sometimes dreaming about certain things actually gives one a boost...like paulo coehlo had said "And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." and also " "It's the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting." dreaming might actually be helpful in achieving something you have dearly wanted..Or it might transport you to a whole new different world.
And also when one dreams or fantasizes it creates a desire in them to be able to live it. The same dream. The same fantasy. It also refreshes us! Even I day dream a lot… and many of those dreams are actually getting fulfilled. It gives me a great sense of satisfaction to be able to achieve what I had dreamt of.

anand said...

:)
Imagination is only thing which can let you live the perfect life you always want(ed) to live. Einstein dint say "imagination is more powerful than knowlegde" for nothing.These moments are pure bliss, the only thing is I have stopped sharing them with people around me, many of them find it "childish" and they spoil the fun part in trying to be more "mature" (whatever that means). I guess it is one of those things which you either have or you don't, good to know that you can imagine "things" ;)

Swagz said...

Good Job Wil....yes....thats one compartment of our lives that is free, free to do what we want, to think what we want....rest are all gone....:) Loved this post